Remain Content
Hebrews 13:5
“Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’.”
Contentment, such a hard pill to swallow at times. Especially for me as I write this out and study more on it. The verse tell us to be without covetousness, which simply means to desire something strongly to the point where it controls your thoughts and actions to move and do things outside of the will of God.. Whoa, right off the bat I have to step back and repent because there are so many things that I personally have a strong desire and want for that has caused me to chase things I knew were not God. This scripture is saying not to conduct ourselves with those desires. Meaning not to let those desire determine how we go about our daily lives. Instead, it is saying to be content with what we have. To be in a state of peace even when we are in a place of lack because, as scripture says God will never leave nor forsake us. I am sure that you all can look on your own lives and find someplace where you have a strong desire that shapes your thought process and even actions that has you pulling away or doubting the plan that God has for you. Now, I’m not saying that all desire is ungodly. In fact, you need a desire to fulfill the plan that God has for your life. However, when your desire begins to impede on your ability to remain content where you are and satisfied with God, then you have to re-examine why you even want those things and submit that desire back under the subjection of Christ. In Philippians 4:11-13, we see Paul explaining how he has learned how to remain content in all situations whether high or low because he knows that it is Christ who strengthens him. In this same chapter just a few verses above we see the way to position our hearts so that we are not ruled by our desires falling into covetousness.
Philippians 4:6 & 7
“do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
Now please hear me it is perfectly okay to not be satisfied with where you are. This is not saying that you should always be satisfied with your situation. You should have a burning desire that makes it hard for you to be satisfied with seeing anything other than what God has promised you. I would even say that your mentality should be one that won’t be satisfied until you witness the fullness of God in your life.
However, it is very saddening that most of our desires aren’t for things of the spirit but for things of this natural world. Speaking from personal experience, we as believers often desire for very material/carnal things more than we desire a stronger relationship with our Father and more than we desire to see spiritual fruit in our lives. As I read this verse it really hit me in my gut. Here I am chasing things trying to attain wealth and I look at this scripture and it brings me back to the understanding that only God can ever truly provide for me and my desire to make that provision happen for myself without consulting God is me saying that God is not enough. The truth to this situation is that God is more than enough for anything that we would ever need. God is the strength we need to make it from day to day. He is the peace that surpasses all understanding and He is the one who will provide every care and provision to carry out the purpose on your life. Don’t go chasing after things or people trying to make your life into something that God did not design it to be. Rely fully on Him and remain CONTENT in the places where you are still waiting to see the goodness of God. I pray that this may not be you and that you have learned to be content with where you are while striving to your greater, but if you need help with this like I do then join me in this prayer.
“God I realize my covetousness is disrespectful to you and that governing my action to pursue my selfish desires is sinful nature. I ask that you would wash me from my desire to have things and release a desire to be in your presence and within your grace. Father, I submit every want that I have to you and pray that you would grant me your peace and understanding. I ask that you would guard my heart and keep my eyes focused on the things that you are requiring from me. I pray these things in Jesus name and ask for your covering in all things. Amen.”

Comments
Post a Comment